Follow FENSTANTON on Twitter

Welcome to the official Fenstanton community website

HISTORICAL

History

Kelly's 1918

Harrod's 1877

Cassey's 1862

Fen Manor

Old Maps

Genealogy

COMMUNITY

FENSTANTON website Home

FENSTANTON maps Maps

FLOODING in FENSTANTON Flood Risk

FENSTANTON Footpaths Footpaths

Links

Postcodes in FENSTANTON Postcodes

Join the FENSTANTON Mailing List Mailing List

Contact the FENSTANTON Web Site Duty Administrator Contact Us

FENSTANTON Advertising Advertising

PARISH COUNCIL

Contact the Parish Clerk to FENSTANTON Contact Clerk

FENSTANTON Parish Council Members

FENSTANTON Parish Notices Notices 

FENSTANTON Parish Minutes Minutes 

FENSTANTON Parish Assets Parish Assets 

Contact the Parish Clerk to FENSTANTON District Councillor

Contact the Parish Clerk to FENSTANTON County Councillor

BUSINESSES

FENSTANTON Businesses Local Businesses

FENSTANTON Pubs Public Houses

FENSTANTON Accommodation Accommodation

FENSTANTON Post Office Post Office

Local Services in & around FENSTANTON Local Services

Guided tours of Cambridge and the surrounding areas Guided Tours

HISTORICAL

FENSTANTON History History

FENSTANTON Genealogy & Family History Genealogy

FENSTANTON - Old Maps Old Maps

Local books about FENSTANTON Books

Local books about FENSTANTON News Archives 

DIRECTORY

FENSTANTON Womens' Institute WI

Allotments in FENSTANTON Allotments

Venues for hire in FENSTANTON Venues for hire

Medical facilities near FENSTANTON Medical

Schools near or in FENSTANTON Education

FENSTANTON Parish Magazine Parish Magazine

FENSTANTON Churches Churches

FENSTANTON Charities Charities

FENSTANTON Clubs & Groups Clubs & Groups

Sport in FENSTANTON Sport

Fenstanton History - Kellys 1918
FENSTANTON - in 1918

FENSTANTON is a parish on the border of Cambridgeshire, bounded on the north by the river Ouse, and on the road from Huntingdon to Cambridge, 2 miles south from St. Ives station on the Great Eastern railway and 6 south-east from Huntingdon, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Toseland, petty sessional division of Hurstingstone, union of St. Ives, county court district of Huntingdon, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Huntingdon and diocese of Ely. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a building of stone, in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, south porch and a western tower with lofty spire containing 5 bells: the chancel is a very fine specimen of Decorated work: the east window is a memorial to the Rev. Stanley Walton M.A. a former vicar, who died in May, 1875, and there are other memorial windows to Miss Cowling, d. 1884, and Mrs. Haylock Watson: the church will seat 375 persons. The register dates from about 1612. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 189, including 16 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Master and Fellows of Trinity Hall, Cambridge, and held since 1914 by the Rev. Marcus Steinman Kemmis M.A. of Magdalen College, Oxford. The Congregational chapel is a building of stone, in the Early English style, erected in 1874, and there is also a Calvinistic Baptist chapel. A cemetery of 1 acre was presented to the parish by the late Thomas Coote esq. D.L., J.P. (d. 1906) and is under the control of the Parish Council; there is no mortuary chapel. The town estate of 94 acres now (1914) produces about 80 yearly, which is for the general uses of the parish. There is a stock club, established for the purpose of defraying losses in cattle through disease &c. The Fenstanton Literary Institute, established in 1856, and rebuilt in 1880, by the late Thomas Coote esq. is now used as a boys’ club. The Fenstanton and District Conservative Club, founded in 1895, and now (1914) numbering 50 members, has premises containing billiard and reading rooms. The principal landowners are Alfred Behagg esq. and George Burgess esq. The manorial rights were transferred about 1889. The various soils are a gravelly loam, clay and fenny loam.. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, potatoes and chicory. The area is 2,565 acres of land and 16 of water ; rateable value, 5,884 ; the population in 1911 of the civil parish was 863 and 879 in the ecclesiastical parish.

Parish Clerk and Sexton, William Saint.

Post, M. O. & T. Office, Fenstanton.—Mrs. Hannah Swain, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from St. Ives. at 6.25 & 10.30 a.m. & 5.30 p.m.; dispatched at 11.30 a.m. & 6.25 & 7.30 p.m.; Sunday, arrive 7 a.m.; dispatched 9.15 a.m

Wall Letter Box, near the ‘Black Bull,’ cleared at 7.30, 10.35 & 11.40 a.m. & 4 & 7.40 p.m. week days only.

Wall Letter Box, ‘Queen’s Head,’ cleared 11 a.m. & 7.20 p.m.; Sunday 9.15 a.m

 

Council School (mixed & infants), built for 159 children; Edward James Quick, master

 

Carriers.—Charles Jacob & Mrs. Bertha Holmes, to St. Ives, daily

 

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

 

Behagg Alfred, Hall Green

Brawn Mrs. Pleasant view

Bunting George, The Elms

Burgess George, The Gables

Chapman Arthur George, Dumville, London road

Crouch Mrs. Chequers street

Danner Frederick, Laleham

Davison Mrs. The Laurels

Day McNeil, Vernon house

Fortescue Roy

Geeson Lambert, The Willows, London road

Graves Mrs. Ivy cottage

Harrison Geo. Arthur, 3 Bridge ter

Heap Thomas, Grove cottage

Hewlins Miss, London road

Houtum-Schindler Gen. Sir Albert K.C.I.E. Petersfield

James Dennis, The Lindens

Johnson Henry, Lynnwood

Kemmis Rev. Marcus Steinman M.A (vicar), The Vicarage

Kiddle Edward, River view

Marsden Mrs. Belmont house

Mason Mrs. Granville ho. London rd

Mason Wm. Jas. Arona vil.London nil

Maud Mrs. Wimpole house

Morgan William, Bridge terrace

Odams Mrs. London road

Parr Rev. James (Cong.), The Manse

Peet Rev. Alfred, Manor house

Powell Geoffrey, The Manor

Pumfrey Alfred, High street

Royds Rev. Nathanael, Oaklands

Sandifer William, The Rookery

Schafer Mrs. Ivy cottage

Semple Edward M.D. Grove house

Skinner James, Hilton road

Smith Arthur Charles, Bridge villa

Tidmarsh James Clingo, Glentborn, Hilton road

Wright Miss, Bridge terrace

 

COMMERCIAL.

 

Aldous Annie (Miss), apartments

Allen Arthur W. & Son, builders, contractors, undertakers, sand & gravel raisers, shoeing & general smiths & agents for North British & Mercantile Insurance Co. High st

Allen James Snesby, bricklayer

Armon Jn. farmer & market gardenr

Ashby Jesse, bee keeper, Tenter Leys

Aughton Henry & Son, butchers

Barnett John, poultry dealer

Behagg Allen Christopher, farmer, Hall Green

Bond Stephen, boot maker

Bond William, shoe maker

Broadway Ellen (Miss), dress maker, 7 Bridge terrace

Burgess George & Sons, farmers & fruit growers, The Gables

Burgess Thomas Philip, clerk to the Parish Council & assistant overseer

Calver Harry, tailor

Carter Benj. & Edwin, horse dealers

Cemetery (Thomas Philip Burgess, clerk; William Saint, sexton)

Chillery Fred, market gardener, & Queen’s Head P.H

Cliff Isaac, beer ret. Huntingdon rd

Cole Florence (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 6 Bridge terrace

Cole Henry John, riding breeches maker, 1 Bridge terrace

Dawson Stephen, farmer

Eagle Thos.coach builder,8 Bridge ter

Emerson Wm. boot maker & beer ret

Fenstanton & District Conservative Club (B. Martin, hon. sec. & treas)

Fenstanton Literary Institute (J. S. Allen, hon. sec)

Fenstanton Stock Club (T. P. Burgess, see)

Gifford William, baker

Harrison George Arthur, assistant overseer for Hemingford Abbotts & clerk to Parish Council & assistant overseer for Pidley-cum-Fenton, 3 Bridge terrace

Haynes Brothers, shopkeepers

Hewson & Son, shopkeepers, High st

Hodge John, baker

Hodge Thomas, baker

Holley John, farmer

Holmes Beldam, chimney sweeper

Holmes Bertha (Mrs.), beer retailer & carrier

Holmes Sarah Bell (Mrs.), apartmnts

Hopkins Joseph, beer retailer

Hunt Alfred, baker & confectioner

Hunt Clara (Miss). dress maker

Isola Arthur, bricklayer

Isola Stephen, baker

Isola William, bricklayer

Jacob George H. & Son, saddlers

Jacob Charles, carrier

James Dennis, farmer

Jepson Vincent Henry, farmer

Johnson Geo.H. shoeing & gen. smith

Land Mary Ann (Mrs.), The Crown P.H. High street

Langford Charles, machinist

Laurie Albert, Black Bull P.R

Makeham Maud & Mary (Misses). grocers

Makeham John Henry, coach painter

Marten William, butcher & grocer

Morgan Warren, cycle agent

Munns William, horse dlr. & farmer

Oakman Oliver, Chequers P.H

Orage William Steverstone, tailor

Prior Fred, gardener to Miss Hewlins, Rose cottage

Pugh Thomas, dairyman

Quemby Henry, dairyman

Radford George, farmer

Richards Edwd. Alfred, wheelwright

Roberts William, beer retailer

Robinson. Arthur White, shopkeeper

Royston William, beer retailer

St. Ives (Hunts) Gas Co. Limited (William James Mason, general manager), London road

Saint Caroline (Miss), shopkeeper

Sandifer William, farmer & landowner, The Rookery

Sansom A. J. & Co. carters

Swain William, jobbing gardener

Topper Richard, farmer

Toseland Simon Thomas, coal dealer

Watts Charles A. miller (wind)

Wright Harriet (Mrs.), George P.H

Transcription copyright Nigel Penton Tilbury 2000

 

Extracted from Kelly's Directory of Huntingdonshire 1914 

available on CD ROM from www.archivedbooks.co.uk

 

 

PARISH DIARY

Refuse Collection Dates Which wheelie bin?
Are you confused too? Click here for HDCs collection dates


PARISH MAGAZINE

Latest Edition
of SPECTRUM



 

 


FamilyNotices.org - the free online repository for all notices of Births, Deaths, Marriages, Engagements, Anniversaries and Missing Persons

Visit www.familynotices.org ............. Follow us on Twitter


WANT TO BE KEPT INFORMED?


Join our private mailing list

 

We are maintaining a mailing list for persons in or around Fenstanton - or who just want to keep informed, wherever they might be.

Please see our privacy details.

Tony 468x60

 

contact us | legal | home

2000-2017 Tilbury Associates